8/21/2009

Black n White

I love looking at black and white photos. My very first encounter with photography was from a black and white photo. The image stunned me in reasons I couldn't explain; but it was that timelessness and class I was attracted to. That was fifteen years ago. I remember buying black and white films and loaded them into my very first Pentax SLR camera. I also remember my excitement as I couldn't wait to go outside and photograph away. People, buildings, cars, whatever I could capture.

I love black and white photos. I love the fact that they were *in* years ago, and they are still *in* now. I admire how you don't have to use colors to see the stories behind black and white photographs. I also enjoy seeing people's emotions and the world through these frozen, colorless images.

I will give you a few examples; you will know what I mean.







Don't these look great in black n white? Don't they look timeless? Now let me show you the originals. When you see the comparison, you will understand why I love black n white so much better.







And you know what the best thing is? It's so easy to convert. I don't use PCS4. I simply use PSE. Just convert your image to black and white, now I usually choose the [newspaper] effect, and add a little color burn in 50% gray, adjust the level a bit, and add a bit midtone contrast and voila! It's simple, and it makes your photographs look so classy. And classy is a good thing.


4 comments:

Anonymous August 22, 2009 at 2:53 AM  

classy is near to perfect, in my opinion. They are timeless and you captured things so great.
They are totally in and never will be out ;)

ARK August 22, 2009 at 5:19 PM  

totally agree - your effects are so fantastic...simple, classic, beautiful!

Yelena R. August 23, 2009 at 1:47 PM  

I also love black and white photos! It's true, they are classic and beautiful. Plus they can hide flaws :)

Emily August 26, 2009 at 6:36 AM  

Thanks for revealing some of your editing secrets. I have PSE too and always love knowing what other people are doing to their photos...especially when it's done as beautifully as yours. Hoping for more...in the future...maybe?. ;-)

Labels

Followers

week 18

week 18

week 31

week 31

About me

I am a wife to a loving, thoughtful husband, a mother of two little angels. Because of my husband's job, we have relocated from New Jersey to Los Angeles three years ago. I miss everything back East..NYC, Gray's Papaya, the subway..but know that LA is where God wants us to be right now. His grace is sufficient; I can't live through a day without depending on Him. My love affair with photography began when I was sixteen years old, when I saw a photograph taken by my cousin at South Seaport in NYC--it was a light switch turned on somewhere inside me. When I came home, I dove into photography. Since then, I've always had a burning desire to pursue photography. It was unfortunately cut short due to choosing another field of study during my college years..not until I became a stay-at-home mom and a God-given opportunity early this year, I was able to finally reunite with this passion..and the rest is history.

rowaszaj@gmail.com

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP