9/08/2009

Photo Editing Discovery

Thanks to technology and easy access to personal computers, editing photos has become so easy (well, after you get the hang of it, that is) nowadays. Editing has also become one of my favorite parts of photography. The choices to edit one photo is just..well, limitless. I have always been a fan of PSE (and still am), but have also heard so much about Lightroom. I finally had a chance to experiment with Lightroom recently, and have to say, wow, I am in love.

Since I am fairly new to Lightroom, I am not going to use this post to show you the "How-to's" Instead, I want to show you what I have discovered Lightroom is capable of, and show you a comparison with PSE.

Here's the original photo (also SOOC):


And here are my attempts:



In the PSE version, I used my favorite technique I became familiar with, and I did write a post with the "How-to's" here.

The first attempt in Lightroom--well, it was pretty horrible, now looking at it. Although at the time, I thought it looked good. Until I realized, the overall tone is too "cool". My husband's and daughter's skin looked....dead. Then I tried again, and was finally satisfied with the "Attempt 2" result. The final photo looked warmer, and their skin looked...alive.

Like I have mentioned, since I am fairly new to Lightroom, I am not going to try to explain what I did here..because to be quite frankly, I really don't remember. When I experiment, it's always "a little bit of this.." and "add a little that". Once I become more familar with this software, I will do some more "How-to's". I just hope you enjoy seeing the differences, and may want to go out and try to utilize these photo editing software to the max..in other words...to get your money worth.

Until next time,

4 comments:

The Animator's Wife September 8, 2009 at 1:00 PM  

Did you buy LR? I downloaded the 30 day trial, last week, and haven't gone back to play after my initial frustrating attempt.

I hear everyone insist that it is easier-- made to be photographer-friendly-- so you have inspired me to give it another go. I still have like 20 days to figure it out, right?

Love your 2nd edit attempt!

Anonymous September 8, 2009 at 3:44 PM  

Wow, I loooove Lightroom!!!!!
I bought it quite a while ago and I use it whenever I can. I think it's very user friendly. There are loads of free presets out on the web. You can download them and life is just a tidbit easier.
I usually develop my pictures just I way I like it and it's always a bit of this and a bit of that. Just how my grandma used to cook my favourite soup.

Actually the PSE one is my favourite.

Emily September 9, 2009 at 6:27 AM  

Attempt 2 really does look great. Your eye for processing is beautiful. Please do let us know if you end up liking it better than PSE. I'll be curious to see what else you do and if you end up switching over to this editing software.

Skeller September 21, 2009 at 1:38 PM  

Oh, how I love LR. One of the ways I initially learned how to use it was by applying a preset and then looking at the settings to see what changed what. The other thing that helped me was knowing that the sliders in the develop panel happen roughly in the same order that you would tweak them (ie. white balance and exposure first, then recover to bring back blown highlights, fill light to bring back lost shadow detail, brightness, contrast, saturation, color tweaks, vignette, sharpen... etc.) The program is pretty logical once you get a feel for it.

Also, google for free tutorials. There are lots of them. And sometimes it just helps to see how something is done.

Labels

Followers

week 18

week 18

week 31

week 31

About me

I am a wife to a loving, thoughtful husband, a mother of two little angels. Because of my husband's job, we have relocated from New Jersey to Los Angeles three years ago. I miss everything back East..NYC, Gray's Papaya, the subway..but know that LA is where God wants us to be right now. His grace is sufficient; I can't live through a day without depending on Him. My love affair with photography began when I was sixteen years old, when I saw a photograph taken by my cousin at South Seaport in NYC--it was a light switch turned on somewhere inside me. When I came home, I dove into photography. Since then, I've always had a burning desire to pursue photography. It was unfortunately cut short due to choosing another field of study during my college years..not until I became a stay-at-home mom and a God-given opportunity early this year, I was able to finally reunite with this passion..and the rest is history.

rowaszaj@gmail.com

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP